January 31, 2008

Failed Tapioca Pudding

I love tapioca pudding. Just recently I was at a Middle Eastern grocery store and I found a bag of large pearl tapiocas. (so excited!)

I soaked some in milk overnight - as you're supposed to with large pearls, otherwise you'll have a crunchy batch - and pulled out the only recipe I have for tapioca pudding. (It's for small pearl, but what does it really matter?)

Curious? Here it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Creamy Tapioca Pudding

1/2 cup Small Pearl Tapioca
3 cups milk
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs well beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Compine tapioca, milk, and salt in a sauce pan. Stir until boiling. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, over lowest possible heat, add sugar gradually. Beat eggs, mix in some of the hot tapioca very slowly to equalize the temperatures of the two mixtures (to avoid curdling). Return all to pan. Bring to a boil, stir 3 minutes more over lowest possible heat (or longer to achieve pudding consistency). Stir constantly. Cool 15 minutes then add vanilla. Serve warm or chilled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Easy enough...

OK, so now that I've taken the time to copy the recipe verbatim, I realize that I rushed through some of the steps. Maybe that's why the gritty consistency? And I have never had this problem before, but the eggs didn't temper properly, and my pudding has tiny chunks of egg white.

Yucky!

No comments: